The U.S. Department of State publishes a list of foreign terrorist organizations. Because of this label, many Americans lack the understanding of what these groups are trying to accomplish. You will hear broad, media-fed statements like, “They want us to live in the Stone Age,” or “They are opposed to our (Western) way of life.” Although these statements may contain some truth, they very often do not fully define what these groups are trying to accomplish. Without this information, how can the government effectively combat these groups’ actions? The reality is that they cannot. The misconceptions are not limited to the general public; many in government are also guided in some cases by them.
Your company, as well as two others, have been contracted to provide a service for the U.S. Department of State. The list provided by the Department of State are the groups your company has been contracted to examine. From the list below, select 2 groups, and develop an information package for the Department of State.
- Aum Shinrikyo
- Basque Fatherland and Liberty (ETA)
- Continuity Irish Republican Army
- Hizbullah (Party of God)
- Jaish-e-Mohammed (JEM) (Army of Mohammed)
- Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE)
- National Liberation Army (ELN)
- Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC)
- Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party/Front (DHKP/C)
- Shining Path (Sendero Luminoso, SL)
- The U.S. Department of State has decided to review its list of foreign terrorist organizations and develop a comprehensive information package for each group.
- In 900–1,200 words, address the following for the 2 organizations that you have selected:
- A brief history of the organizations
- Goals (defined between political and ideological)
- Area of operation
- Methods of engagement
- Legitimate functions (political, social, etc.)
- Psychological and cultural makeup
- For this assignment, you must utilize at least 3 scholarly sources.
- Compile your responses into your final paper, and submit the file to your instructor.
- All sources must be referenced using APA style