In evaluating the degree to which the presenter followed the ethical standards
In evaluating the degree to which the presenter followed the ethical standards as outlined in Section 4 relative to the APA’s Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct, it is the responsibility of the psychologist to aid and assist the patient in a manner that will be beneficial to the patient. Dr. Brewer met with Bob over a 6-month period with the plan to support him in overcoming his concern with career choice and life direction. Information was gained at this time concerning Bob’s life, friends and family with Bob being cooperative but becoming guarded when asked about family. The patient assessment occurred based on Section 9.06 of the APA Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct (American Psychological Association, 2016). I do question if the psychologist should have hired the private investigator to locate the mother since the client had not signed a release form relative to his mother.
The beginning diagnosis’ for the patient of adjustment disorder with anxiety was appropriate until the gathering of collateral information from friends. The relevant information from the patient’s history that can be used to inform the conceptualization of the patient’s problems and diagnosis is the fact that while in therapy, the patient was cooperative but guarded with his friends’ sharing that over the past few months he has went through some personality changes while being suspicious of other people’s behavior, disappearing for weeks and not returning calls. The friends also believe that Bob may be using drugs which need to be verified.
In providing an evaluation of the patient’s symptoms while presenting problems within the context of a theoretical orientation that seems to be the most appropriate would be consideration of the psychodynamic or psychoanalytic theory and therapy. The psychoanalysis will emphasize the fact that adult problems’ roots can be traced to the patient’s childhood.
Based on the DSM-5, I believe that the differential diagnosis for borderline personality disorder is appropriate as there are mood, mood variability mode, and personal and family history of the same. Questions for other colleagues would include a discussion concerning the characteristics of the psychotic symptoms that can be useful relative to differentiation.
American Psychological Association. (2016). Ethical principles of psychologists and code of conduct [Ebook] (pp. 2-10). American Psychological Association. Retrieved from https://www.apa.org/ethics/code/ethics-code-2017.pdf
Ashford University. (2018). Fictional Case Scenario – (Bob) [Video]. Retrieved from https://ashford.mediaspace.kaltura.com/media/t/0_a7mxm6pt
First, M. (2014). DSM-5 handbook of differential diagnosis (p. 189). Washington: American Psychiatric
HERE IS THE QUESTION
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses.
Prior to beginning work on this interactive assignment, please view the required video PSY645 Grand RoundsPresentation (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.; read Chapters 15, 20, and the Classes (or Names) of Medications That Can Cause Mental Disorders appendix in DSM-5 Made Easy: The Clinician’s Guide to Diagnosis; read Chapter 1 of DSM-5: Handbook of Differential Diagnosis; and read Section 4: Privacy and Confidentiality (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. from the APA’s Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct: Including 2010 Amendments.
To view the written transcript, please click here.
Mental health professionals hold grand rounds events to maintain their current knowledge of health care practices and to consult with colleagues on particularly difficult cases. During these professional events, mental health professionals sometimes present a case and seek feedback from peers regarding conceptualization and treatment of a patient’s problems. This interactive assignment is an opportunity to simulate a grand rounds event.
For your initial post in this forum, you will provide written feedback regarding your colleague’s presentation and questions. Your post must include the following:
- Provide an evaluation of the degree to which the presenter followed the ethical standards outlined in Section 4 (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. of the APA’s Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct: Including 2010 Amendments.
- Highlight the relevant information from the patient’s history you will use to inform your conceptualization of the patient’s problems and diagnosis.
- Provide an evaluation of the patient’s symptoms and presenting problems within the context of a theoretical orientation that seems to be most appropriate for the situation. Be sure to indicate which theory you are using for your evaluation and provide a justification for your choice. To get the most out of this assignment, you are encouraged to use the same theoretical orientation from which you chose to write your Week Two Initial Assessment discussion’s guided response.
- Provide a diagnosis for the patient based on one of the diagnostic manuals available (e.g., DSM-5, Psychodynamic Diagnostic Manual, etc.). Justify your choice of this diagnostic manual.
- Describe at least one evidence-based and one non-evidence-based treatment option for this diagnosis. Compare the benefits and costs of these treatment options.
- Based on specific theoretical and historical perspectives, provide questions for your colleagues seeking their thoughts and feedback.
- Pose appropriate questions that may help refine the diagnostic impression of this patient.
Guided Response: Review several of your colleagues’ posts, and respond to at least two of your peers by 11:59 p.m. on Day 7 of the week. You are encouraged to post your required replies earlier in the week to promote more meaningful interactive discourse in this discussion.
Examine your colleague’s feedback and formulate a response based on your colleague’s questions. Assess the validity of your colleague’s diagnosis from a sociocultural perspective using the theoretical orientation from which you wrote your initial post. The goal of your response is to present information and feedback from your theoretical orientation for your colleague’s consideration, rather than forcing your colleague to take on your orientation as their own. Describe how your conceptualization differs from your colleague’s, if there is a significant difference.
Continue to monitor the discussion forum until 5:00 p.m. Mountain Standard Time (MST) on Day 7 of the week, and respond to anyone who replies to your initial post. Be sure to indicate whether your diagnosis and conceptualization has changed based on your colleague’s feedback.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!