Examine the primary features of an IEP evaluation as developed under the IDEA legislation, then complete the following prompts:
· Describe the primary features of an IEP.
· Describe what such an evaluation should generally entail.
· Briefly summarize one court case that has focused on IDEA.
· Describe the effects of this case on the implementation of IDEA.
Examine the criteria for civil commitment in your state, then complete the following:
· Describe the state criteria for civil commitment.
· Does your state have inpatient or outpatient civil commitment options? Identify two facilities in your region that could provide these services.
· Based on your knowledge of psychopathology, how would you recommend criteria for civil commitment in your state be improved?
· Or, if you believe they are adequate, explain why you believe so in the context of current thinking of psychopathology.
Competency to Stand Trial
Review the issue of competency to stand trial and address the following prompts:
· List the criteria required by your state to establish competency to stand trial.
· Based on the readings, identify at least eight questions to ask the defendant to assess his or her competency to stand trial.
· Describe 2–3 assessment instruments that might be appropriate for assessing competency to stand trial. Note: Pay special attention to the age of your defendant when selecting these tests.
· Discuss the differences between competency to stand trial and competency to waive Miranda rights (that is, competency to confess).