Does the abuse of drugs trigger, either biologically or emotionally a mental illness?
- Does the abuse of drugs trigger, either biologically or emotionally a mental illness?
- Which disorder preceded the other?
- Are co-occurring disorders genetically based?
- Are there links between Axis II personality disorders and Axis I psychiatric and substance use disorders?
- Are people with psychiatric disorders more likely to self-medicate with drugs or alcohol?
- Are people with psychiatric disorders or Axis II personality disorders more vulnerable to abuse drugs or alcohol?
Models of co-occurring disorder provide guidance in understanding the etiology and development of the dual or multiple disorders. As you complete this assignment (as outlined below), review the bulleted questions posed above to determine how your answers to these questions fit into your response to the assignment.
In this assignment, you will evaluate explanatory models for co-occurring disorders. Prepare a paper on this topic in which you address the following:
- What models currently explain co-occurring disorders?
- What research findings support the initial occurrence of substance abuse, or of psychological disorder in co-occurring disorders?
- How do personality disorders and schizophrenia predispose a person to develop a co-occurring disorder?
- What social factors may precipitate the development of a co-occurring disorder?
To prepare your paper you will rely on at least five research articles published in the past 5 years in peer-reviewed journals. You will use the skills you learned in the warm-up activity to draw conclusions and take a stand on the issues you have read.
Length: 5-7 pages, not including title and reference pages.
Your paper should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the ideas and concepts by providing new thoughts and insights relating directly to this topic. Your response should reflect scholarly writing and current APA standards.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!