Based on the scenario and the knowledge gained from this section, address the following:
- Discuss one effect that the two-party system of the U.S. has on the political interests of American citizens. Suggest one reason why the two-party system has regulated the emergence and successful contention of a major third party in presidential elections.
- What role do the primaries play in representing other “parties” and beliefs within the two-party system?
- Consider how the media influences political parties and voters, political bias for/against parties, and the role of ideology.
- How does fake news and outright lies in the media affect people’s perception of the two political parties?
- Review the first few slides of Live Lecture #2 for an examination of the political spectrum.
- Remember, ALL major parties have once been third parties just as all large businesses were once small businesses.
- What are some of the benefits or problems with having a multi-party system like many other countries?