Assignment 1: Assessing Management Functions
The assigned reading for this module explained the four functions of management (planning, organizing, leading, and controlling). While all are important, sometimes, one or more might be seen as more critical given the unique situation of the organization. One function might be weaker in the organization and may need to be improved. Maybe there is a certain set of circumstances in which the organization finds itself such that one management function might need to take center stage, etc.
Assume that you are an internal consultant for your current or a past organization and have been asked to assist managers in the execution of their job.
- On the basis of your analysis:
- Which function of management and specific task related to that function did you select?
Note: You may use the chart of functions and subtasks on page 179 of the textbook as a guide if you wish.
- Explain the reasons for your choice. What is happening or not happening?
- What are the ramifications?
In M4 Assignment 2, you will be asked to devise potential solutions for all four management functions at the task level. You may use the one selected in this assignment.
- By the due date assigned, post your responses to this Discussion Area.
- Through the end of the module, respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts. While responding, identify the similarities and differences between what you have constructed and what your classmates have. While responding to your classmates, consider the following:
- Reflect on the choices made by your classmates
- Expand on the ramifications
- Compare how tasks or processes differ